Sunday, October 13, 2013

Bronze Statue

For you who follow Daniel's site, I have some very interesting news:

Recently, I received a suggestion, that because of the way Daniel lived his life and his very sincere love of art, that consideration should be given to have a bronze statue made of Daniel and donate it to an art museum. That suggestion really hit close to home with me, particularly because Daniel loved to visit often the deYoung and Legion of Honor Art Museums in San Francisco. When his mother and I would visit, Daniel would take us to those museums. How many young people would take their parents to an art museum on a visit? Daniel was so impressed with all art museums, it was amazing.

Thinking realistically about having a bronze statue made of Daniel, the chance of something like that happening was maybe one in a million. But knowing Daniel's love of art and art museums and then considering that if something isn't at tried, the percentage for success is zero, so I decided to contact a few bronze statue artists to inquire what the cost of creating a bronze statue would be. I've learned that a bronze statue is just identified as “bronze,” so in the future when the word “bronze” is used, it is the bronze statue.

Hearing back from a number of bronze artists was yes it was doable, but the cost would be between $80,000 and $100,000 for a life-sized statue. Well, that put it out of my reach, no way could I afford that. I received word from a very well know bronze artist who had done some research about Daniel and the wonderful job the DRL Art Program is doing for art education and she indicated that she would be willing to create a bronze statue of Daniel for $50,000 if the bronze would be accepted by an art museum.

Therefore, I began sending out inquires to a number of art museums describing the bronze and requesting their interest in having it donated to their museum. I received a couple of answers that were not committal, but they requested to see a rendering of the bronze for further consideration. I haven't yet sent a request to the deYoung and Legion of Honor Museums, as I didn't want to receive a no from them.

The answers I received were what I was hoping for, not a rejection but a “maybe.” I then contacted the Cache Education Foundation which is the parent foundation for the DRL Art Program. The DRL Program director was very impressed and took the my request to the board to see if they would consider a not-for-profit fundraiser for the bronze. It was brought out that any money received as a donation to the Cache Education Foundation had to go directly to the student, it could not be used for trips, conferences, bronze, etc. That was a big let down, but I understood why the Foundation does business that way, because of all the abuse by many other foundations with the
money they receive not benefiting the the core reason of its functioning.


One overlooked item here is a reply was that I received from an art museum that they would consider the bronze if a letter of intent a long with a rendering of the and that we would meet some other requirements. That request was from the American Art Museum at the Smithsonian, the world's largest and most prominent art museum. The task to find a not-for-profit organization that would consider a fundraiser for the bronze is the next big issue. Many like organizations have been contacted and but they all are interested in fundraisers which would be local and bring money in for there foundation. That also makes sense.

At this juncture, I have been in contact with a not-for-profit foundation that understands the project and is considering it. This foundation wants to talk with the bronze artist and hopefully within a few days something can be worked out for a fundraiser. At this moment, a Letter of Intent and a rendering of the bronze is in process and shortly we will know if the Smithsonian American Art Museum will accept the donation of the bronze of Daniel. Please keep checking back and see the progress (hopefully) we are making.

A million to one suggestion is now about 70-80% success! I haven't mentioned the artist of the bronze or the foundation for fundraising at this time, when and if this bronze becomes a reality, I certainly will let you know the artist and the foundation and that the Smithsonian American Art Museum accepts the bronze.


No comments: